Friday, June 30, 2017

Playing Massive Chalice on Ubuntu

Screenshot from 2017-06-29 23-00-25.png
Defeat all cadence

This one’s been sitting in my GOG.com library for some time now. So since I was in the mood for turn-based strategy I may as well right?

Installing Massive Chalice is easy enough.

~$ sh gog_massive_chalice_2.1.0.4.sh

No problems there. 

The problem comes when you try to run the game. Clicking the launcher does nothing. Running the game from terminal gives you this:

~$ ./GOG\ Games/Massive\ Chalice/start.sh
Running Massive Chalice
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
 Major opcode of failed request:  156 (GLX)
 Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
 Value in failed request:  0x0
 Serial number of failed request:  86
 Current serial number in output stream:  87

Not nice. Luckily, I recently came across a similar problem with running the Steam client. I know it worked with a previous version of Ubuntu but is now broken. But I also know Transistor works so it can’t be the driver doesn’t support OpenGL, right?

So I tried the solution that I used to get Steam running on Massive Chalice:

~$ export LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6'; ./GOG\ Games/Massive\ Chalice/start.sh

And the game finally runs!

Unfortunately, it’s not all rosy from here. The sound is missing and I haven’t figured it out. But other than that the game runs fine so far so I’m not complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment